Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Starting out.... a little intro:)

Today is my first day posting in a blog.. I am a little apprehensive about writing. I have never been much of a writer but I have always had a lot to say... Anyone who knows me knows me, knows that. What inspired  this new writing journey was my son who is is Type 1 Diabetic and who also has Celiac Disease. I am the first person to tell you this does not define who my son is. He is so much more than these two diseases. However it is such a part of our lives that I am bursting to share our struggles and our joys with you. I will also be posting about other things as well. I have three other children so I have plenty of oh-oh's, funny stories and recipes to share... Okay I'm getting excited....So without further a due....here we go:)


I have been married for almost fifteen years and I am a mom of four crazy kids! Abby,Aaron, Ashton, and Aaden....now why did I chose all A names? I have no clue but boy has that been a tongue twister at times! They are great kids really but four kids is four kids and that turns into complete chaos at times! I am also a student at Liberty U. I almost have my Associates in Early Education, but I am not done there....I plan to further that into a Bachelors in Education. It is exciting and challenging. 


My son Ashton was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in June of 2008. It was the month after he turned three and a day my heart literally stopped. Did you know your heart could do that? It was day that I became a certified shot giver...and a calculator of carbs. For the first time since I became a mother, I didn't know how to take care of my child. It was a confusing and scary time. I think this is the first time I have admitted that.  At this point it has been four years and we have a routine and things are calm except for the highs and lows and realizing that he is different than other kids in his class. If this wasn't enough for him in March of this year he had several blood test and a biopsy that yelp confirmed Celiac Disease. Wow. Soooo we cleaned out our cabinets on the spot and began this huge gluten free lifestyle. This has been more of a transition for our house than diabetes was. My first thought was oh man, no Logan's bread, no Chinese?  lol It is true .I quickly got on the internet and studied my behind off to educate myself on this disease and try to find recipes my kids would not hate me for. I have found plenty and believe it or not my kids have preferred them over what we normally eat! Sweet! 
Okay gluten free pancakes is whats up this morning... Talk to you soon...
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about your blog!! I look forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete